On our plane ride back from Germany, 10+ hours, I played a game of electronic chess. And I lost. So I watched a movie or two. Later in the flight I played again. Figured nothing to lose, except losing of course. I exchanged a few pieces, then lost my queen, figured the game was over. But I hung in there, soon got their queen, and some more pieces, then exchanged my 2 paws for 2 queens, and I had the machine at check mate.
So on my latest project, the goal was to take a previous developers code and get it working. And I got it working, even created some automated scripts. Except the goal was to get Service Broker talking from one database to another on different database servers.
So I requested a few VM to be built, sure enough, got them pretty quick. Except the same code didn't work across servers. So I scoured the internet, reading error messages, looking at sample code. So many settings. User permissions. Endpoints. Routes. Services. Queues. Certificates. I spent 11 hours on it today.
And sure enough, at the eleventh hour, I found an error message about network issues, so I enabled the SQL Browser, modified a few settings and sure enough, the two database servers were exchanging messages back and forth, using certificates for security. Check mate.
Quite a battle. I almost gave up a few times. So tomorrow I'll get the servers to talk in the other direction. And then add in a 3rd server for a 6 way communication frenzy.
That was a tough one~!
Here's the code... http://www.bloomconsultingbi.com/2014/12/service-broker-code-example-end-to-end.html