Insight is the understanding of a specific cause and effect in a specific context. The term insight can have several related meanings:
- a piece of information
- the act or result of understanding the inner nature of things or of seeing intuitively in Greek called noesis
- an introspection
- the power of acute observation and deduction, penetration, discernment, perception called intellection or noesis
- an understanding of cause and effect based on identification of relationships and behaviors within a model, context, or scenario (see artificial intelligence)
An insight that manifests itself suddenly, such as understanding how to solve a difficult problem, is sometimes called by the German word Aha-Erlebnis. The term was coined by the German psychologist and theoretical linguist Karl Bühler. It is also known as an epiphany.
Here's another definition for "Insight":
1. The capacity to discern the true nature of a situation; penetration.
2. The act or outcome of grasping the inward or hidden nature of things or of perceiving in an intuitive manner.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
From my view, the entire reason for Business Intelligence is to deduce some form of Insight.
To go from point A to point B.
By analyzing Data both small and large, to deduce conclusions, to form actionable events.
Insight is that "a-ha" moment. The light bulb going off above your head. It's the realization that springs forth from some unknown intelligence.
Data can do this. So can years of experience. As well as the I-Ching, Tarot cards, Astrology, Intuition and a Sixth Sense.
Just the vehicles to get you from point A to point B.
However, Data has precision, can be Verified, Reproducible so there's a form of Accountability involved. Which makes it more Scientific and accepted by the community.
Sometimes when my mind is free to wander, I get insights. Perhaps some simple elegant solution to some problem I'm facing. Perhaps in the shower. Or while driving down an endless road.
Insights are freebies from the Universe to help guide us along our journey.
And Data can provide some of those insights from time to time.
If we have the reasoning ability, patience and focus.
Connecting the dots if you will.
That's what I like about Business Intelligence.
A Crystal Ball to answer some of your toughest questions.