Based on recent experience, I've decided to implement a 'New Report Request Form'.
Why? Because sometimes you need them.
Why? Because sometimes the user changes their mind once or twice or twelve times.
Why? Because business rules change or the report needs tweaking or the requester didn't think through the entire process at the beginning.
So in no particular order, I grabbed some bullet points off the web?
- Is this a new report, or a
modification to an existing report ?
- Report owner ?
- Business Contact ?
- What is the purpose of the
- By what date does the report need
to be available ?
- Summary or Detail Report?
- (Proposed) Report Title ?
- What is the frequency of
publication (* Ad Hoc, Monthly, Quarterly, 6 Monthly, Annually, Other
(Please Specify. . .) ?
- What system will this report be
based on (name of application/database) ?
- What fields/information should be
displayed on the report ?
- What criteria/conditions will you
- What (special or conditional)
formatting do you need on each column ?
- Report period (is the report for a
single day, a month, a year, Begin/End Dates, etc.) ?
- Who are the Users of the
report / Security?
- What are the sorts that should be
- What special calculations need to
- Totals and Subtotals ?
- Export Format* Email, CSV, TXT
(Tab Delimited), XLS, Other (Please Specify) ?
- Provide Report mock-up with all
data elements labeled – column descriptions, formula calculations, format
type, max characters, etc…
- What else would you like included ?
- Is this a new report, or a modification to an existing report ?
What are some other things to request? Gotcha's?
Because my department is understaffed and because the workload is constant and the number of request increases over time, I need to implement some structure to prevent us from drowning.